Thursday, March 8, 2012

Inspiration...

A Dream Deferred

by Langston Hughes


What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
     I gave birth to my first daughter at 17 years old. I was a senior in high school. So many people told me that my life was over. So many strangers shook their heads in pity or disgust when they saw my round belly. Yet somehow, my heart kept beating. The birth of my daughter may have come at an inopportune time by society's standards, but they say, a baby is a blessing. Of course, if I could turn back the hands of time I would have waited until I could be more certain of a secure future for her, but I must say that my little pumpkin did dramatically change my life...for the better! The thought of having the responsibility of creating and shaping a new new life, has sent me into overdrive. My daughter gives me something to live for. She is a motivation for me to take life seriously. Only God knows where I would be right now had she not come into my life.
     This poem reminds me that you should never give up on your dreams. It feels like I've been dealing with hurdle after hurdle, but that's life. It goes on, even when you think you feel like you can't take anymore. My dream was deferred, but its still attainable, and I'm determined to meet my goals. :)
Does this poem resonate with you? How?

2 comments:

  1. Yes this poem resonates with me. My first time hearing Langston Hughes poetry..was reading one of his books out loud with my future childs father as a teen in his grandmoms house..pre baby...We would write and read poetry together....I relate to the teenage pregnancy life. I was able to graduate before baby. I had also chosen different options after high school because of baby, but being a single mother was something that has helped me learn about love and self love even more. I didn't know what self love was until I had this little person I had to love and take care of. If you can't love yourself ..you can't love anyone else. I know that was a major life lesson for myself and I'm grateful my child was a catalyst in me realizing this very important lesson. I have since married. My dreams are being fulfilled because of this lesson learned. Thanks for sharing sis! (; I hope you the best in all of your future goals! Great blog. -Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s.

    My mother once told me years ago on a phone call...my older brothers wife..once said in a disapproving and judgmental way to her..."I thought Angel would be a doctor, but she had a baby."...A few years ago...the same sister in law was suffering from health issues..and because of the baby I had that she disapproved of ..My choices in life had led me into the same field that could help her with her illness...Ironic huh.. Another lesson learned... -Angel

    ReplyDelete